Kupe me te Wheke Nunui
Kupe is considered by many as the first person to discover Aotearoa.
After his pursuit of a giant octopus he continued to explore Aotearoa and name places.
There are different iwi versions of this pūrākau.
Aligned with Social Sciences and Aotearoa New Zealand Histories Curriculum, this pūrākau supports
Tūrangawaewae me te Kaitiakitanga
- the significance of names of places, people, and taonga
- ways that stories create a link between the present and the past
- ways that people value and make use of the environment
Included in this rauemi-
- Kupe PowerPoint Story
- KWL/MPA chart
- Graphic organiser
- Black and white story for sequencing
- Story sequencing strips
- Storyboard (Recall the story)
- Word search
- Ngā Ingoa Māori- some Māori place names related to Kupe
- Mini jigsaw